Not only are they amazing yoga teachers but are also pretty handy in the kitchen! Here are a few recipes that yogafusion staff have shared with us that we got to sample at the staff Christmas party. Enjoy!
Simon’s Vegan Carrot Cake
2¼ cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoons salt
½ cup applesauce
1 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup cane or raw sugar
½ cup (melted) coconut oil
2 cups grated carrots
½ cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked, drained and rinsed)
½ cup raw cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
¼ cup almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 and grease a 9×13 (or similar) baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar and oil.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
5. Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
1. Combine frosting ingredients into a high speed blender. Start the blender on low and gradually increase speed (the mixture will be very thick at first). You can add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get your blade moving. 2.Taste and add more sugar or lemon to make it more sweet and/or tangy.
3. Blend until very smooth.
4.Chill for about 60 minutes before spreading as it needs to firm up a bit.
Margarita’s Heavenly Rice Salad
- 1 packet Basmati rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 packet Craisins
- 1 cup cashews
- 70 grams pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Cook rice as per instructions on packet. Allow to cool
- Stir through rest of ingredients (leaving the nuts until last). Stir well.
- Serve and enjoy!
NB: one of us accidentally spilled wine into the salad. This, of course, is optional.